Thursday 28 January 2016

A bit dotty

A while back Rafa commented that the easiest way to paint buttons was using the tip of a pin. For some reason, possibly because I was too idle to look for a pin, I passed up on this good bit of advice. However, last night, faced with the task of painting rows of buttons on the legs of this Prussian Cuirassier I sought out Mrs S and her stash of sewing accessories.

To my amazement I managed to paint the first row of buttons in just a couple of minutes with no mistakes, a task that would normally have taken me up to twenty minutes with a paint brush and involve a lot of swearing. Once I got the knack of getting the paint to the right consistency with just the right amount on the pin tip it was easy peasy.

So why am I painting Prussian Cuirassiers when I should be painting Austrian infantry? A good question but this is down to Roy pointing out that we didn’t have a single unit of them between us and anyway I’ve been waiting for an excuse to paint up this unit for a long time.

11 comments:

The Good Soldier Svjek said...

Oh ! I like the pin idea ! , Tony

the Archduke said...

What a splendid fellow. East Prussian, is he not? Do you have Marcus' painting instructions? I ask because I don't, but have come up with exactly the same rig. Nice buttons, too.

MSFoy said...

Hey - this is a serious how-to item - we need more about the method. If there is anything in the world which has made me more unhappy over the years than the painting of uniform buttons (anything, that is, that does not involve my wife's mother) then I can't think what it is.

This could be a real Pulitzer nominated post - my congratulations in advance. I'm happy to second any nomination if you give us a bit more detail - my breath is now baited...

Stryker said...

Tony W - yes it's a clever idea although not mine sadly!

Archduke - he is indeed East Prussian as per the HH instruction sheet. I don't have an original copy but Clive helped me out with a digital version.

Tony (Foy) - if I knew how to do it I could post a YouTube video! I will instead try a how to blog post if I manage to repeat my initial success!

Paul Attwood said...

I need some Russian dragoons to support my infantry corps so I'll need cuirassiers or Chevalier guard to convert for this, can you help.

I have access to many of the Napoleonic ranges if you need something.

Regards

Paul

Stryker said...

Hi Paul - sadly I can't help with Russian dragoons but maybe one of my blog followers can?

lewisgunner said...

Paul, I might be able to help you there.
drop me a note on elm.farm@btinternet.com
Roy

Anonymous said...

Lovely figure, I had forgotten how good Prussian cuirassiers could look, making a change from all that blue, look forward to seeing the unit.

Paul

Neil Moulden said...

Reminded me of when I used to use a toothpick to do the same thing. Great for multi colour pom poms with a different thickness for each ring.
Cheers.
Neil.

Wellington Man said...

Lovely painting Ian!

Wargamer Stu said...

I've recently been using bamboo skewers for the same job - harder wearing than cocktail sticks so they don't splay so much at the ends.