Sunday 17 July 2016

Vintage Prussians at last!

Those of you who have followed this blog for a while may remember that my initial motivation for collecting Hinton Hunt figures was to recreate the Prussian Napoleonic army I had in my youth that has long since gone (the figures and my youth that is). So I was very pleased to receive this lot through the post a couple of weeks ago.

They are the result of a swop made with Matt B during his famous recent ‘UK 20mil wargaming road trip’. The figures are all vintage Hinton Hunt with the exception of the rather nifty and unusual DK flag bearer. I have other castings of PN.3 Prussian private (charging) but they are a mixture of Clayton and more modern reproductions – the vintage ones have proved very elusive.

My original 1970's army had three battalions made up of this figure each comprised of 21 figures (18 of the advancing figure plus officer, drummer and standard bearer) so I got to know all the variations in casting shape and quality as I slowly plodded through painting them. The legendary flash metal was there in abundance but I remember noticing two distinct figure types – one nicely proportioned and a rather thin tall fellow – so it was interesting to see that both these types were included in this batch.

I’m looking forward to stripping and re-painting these although I’m not sure when that may happen.

8 comments:

the Archduke said...

Splendid fellows. Can I ask what your youthful self used as a colour bearer in the original battalion?

Stryker said...

Ah, good question Archduke - it was the figure with separate musket adapted to hold a paperclip staff with paper hand painted 1914 German cross!

KEV. Robertson. said...

Splendid pick-up on the Prussians- will certainly look forward to your re-painting them in all their glory. Will your collection of Prussians Regiments surpass your previous (youthful) Collection Ian? Regards. KEV.

Stryker said...

Kev, another good question! I think the answer is that it could - my original army had 7 infantry units, 4 cavalry and 2 guns. I certainly have enough lead in the mountain to at least equal this but it may be some time before I can paint them all.

Wellington Man said...

It was a very good swop, Mr Stryker, Sir. I doubt I'll manage to paint my half of the bargain any sooner!

lewisgunner said...

Presmably you will strip them of the rather thick daub they bear? Looks like it would be good project to put stage by stage on the blg?

Anonymous said...

Look forward to seeing them cleaned and painted up.

Paul

Stryker said...

Paul - me too!